Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Project Steubenville

This title has been up for a couple days, but I think its time I explain my summer project. First I want to say that Corey Smith is definitly worth checking out he did a cover tonight of "Sittin' at a bar" by rehab which just kicked ass. If you go to his site you can listen to most of his hits... i would suggest "If i could do it again" and "drinkin again."

Well back to the point of this post.

About nine months ago I decided that somehow I wanted to give back to the city that raised me. I originally read an article about communities in Switzerland that held lotteries and then divided the money among non-profits and community projects. I thought about holding something like this, but decided against it for numerous reasons. Instead I've turned to an idea that I participated in this year at State. "Service Raleigh" has been held at NC State for 7 years now and brings together roughly 2,500 students to participate in various community service projects. For example I helped at a local spring fair for underprivileged children. Others helped clean up city parks, and pick up trash around town.

So for the basics I plan on organizing churches, schools, service clubs, the city, and various other organizations to put on this type of service day. Individuals would donate 4 hrs of their day and help out with projects around town. Kinda late now...but updates will come. If anyone reads this and is in to helping out let me know.
Always,
T.L. Hargett

No comments: